Cream Puff Chocolate Eclair Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 4 cups milk
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 large (5.1 oz) pkgs instant vanilla pudding (or 3 small, 3.4 oz)
- 1 8-ounce container Cool Whip
- Chocolate syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
For the Pastry:
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat butter and water to boiling over medium-high heat. Add flour and reduce heat to low. Cook and stir until it forms a ball and pulls away from the pan. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Spread in bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 35 minutes. Cool completely.
For the Chocolate Filling:
- Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Continue heating at 20 second intervals until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Sift in the powdered sugar, a little at a time, stirring as you go. Dribble water in to the mixture until smooth and spreadable (you may or may not use all the water). Spread over the cooled pastry.
For the Cream Filling:
- In mixing bowl beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Slowly and gradually add the milk while still beating. Once these are well combined, add pudding mix and beat until thickened. Spread over chocolate layer in cooled pastry.
- Top with whipped topping, and draw lines of chocolate syrup across the top, then run a knife down the top in the opposite direction of the syrup lines, about every 2 inches. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.