Boston Marathon Bombing
At least 3 dead, 141 injured in Boston Marathon blasts.
BOSTON — Two explosions ripped through the Boston Marathon’s crowded finish line Monday afternoon, killing at least three people and injuring more than 141.
The dead included an 8-year-old boy, The Boston Globe reported, citing law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation. Among the injured, 17 were reported in critical condition. The victims at eight local hospitals were as young as 2.
“There were so many people in that area that they couldn’t get ambulances in there,” said Joe Difazio, who was working on communications near the site when the blasts occurred. “They were wheeling people out in wheelchairs. One guy had no legs. The bones was just sticking out. … It was horrible.”
WBZ-TV reported Monday night that police were searching an apartment in Revere, a suburb, as part of the investigation into the blasts. Massachusetts State Police confirmed that a search warrant was served but provided no further details, Associated Press said.
Set off at one of the world’s premiere sporting events, the blasts ignited a fresh round of unease and renewed security concerns across the nation. The stark pictures of mayhem and the injured sent over TV and the Internet also rekindled stark memories from the 9/11 terrorist attacks on New York’s World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Monday’s attacks also come just four days before the anniversary of the April 19, 1995, bomb attack on Oklahoma City’s Murrah Federal Building.
The Boston Marathon blasts occurred about 12 seconds and 100 yards apart at about 2:50 p.m., three hours after Ethiopia’s Lelisa Desisa won the 26.2-mile race.
Police searched widely for other explosive devices, and two law enforcement officials said no other explosive devices had been found. The officials said that as many as seven suspicious packages were destroyed in controlled explosions but they were later found not to be actual bombs. The law enforcement officials who have been briefed on the matter were not authorized to comment publicly.
Authorities also issued a bulletin for a unidentified man who was seen running from a restricted area. It was unclear, according to the federal official, whether the person was anything other than a witness.
The state, local and federal investigation into the bombings is being led by the FBI. Special Agent Rick Deslauriers said investigators were looking at possible terrorism, but he refused comment on specific suspects or leads in the case. Read More USA Today