- 1 cup seedless raisins or currants
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup fat, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine raisins or currants, sugar, corn syrup, boiling water, melted fat, salt and spices in a saucepan. Place over moderate heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Add sifted flour, baking soda and baking powder; mix thoroughly and turn into a greased 9 x 5 x 3″ loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.
This cake is deliciously moist and does not require icing, but if you want to ice the cake, simply beat 1 egg white until frothy. Slowly beat into the egg white 1/2 cup of boiling corn syrup. Beat until stiff peaks form. Whip in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and ice the cake immediately.