Banana Coffee Cake
- 100g butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup packed soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 11⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1⁄4 cup strong black coffee, cooled
- 1⁄4 cup milk (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 11⁄2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground coffee
1. Preheat oven to 180 C/160 C fan-forced. Grease a 20cm (base measurement) springform pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then banana, until blended. Fold in flour sifted with soda alternately with cooled coffee. (If mixture is thick, beat in milk.) Pour mixture into prepared pan.
3. Combine pecans, brown sugar and ground coffee; sprinkle over batter. Bake 35 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool 5 minutes in pan; remove ring and serve warm.