Banana chocolate cake
This is easy to make and use up your over ripe bananas
Ingredients (serves 8)
* 1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
* 3/4 cup self-raising flour
* 2/3 cup cocoa powder
* 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
* 1 cup caster sugar
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 2 large, over-ripe bananas, mashed
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
* 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
* 2 to 3 tablespoons milk, warmed
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease an 8-cup capacity, 24cm fluted ring tin.
Sift flours, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
Add husks from sieve.
Add sugar. Stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
2. Combine eggs, banana, buttermilk and oil in a jug. Pour into well. Stir to combine.
3. Spoon cake mixture into prepared tin. Smooth surface.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Stand cake for 5 minutes in tin. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
4. Make icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add milk. Using a wooden spoon, mix until smooth. Pour icing over cooled cake.
Using a flat-bladed knife, spread over top.
Allow icing to run down sides. Stand for 20 minutes or until icing sets.