Black Forest Chocolate Mousse
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1 can (16 1/2 ounces) pitted Bing cherries, in heavy syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kirsch, cherry brandy (See note below)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Grated semisweet chocolate, for garnish (optional)
- Mint sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- In deep, 2-quart bowl, whip cream to form firm peaks. Reserve 1/2 cup in small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Set aside larger amount of cream.
- Thoroughly drain cherries in strainer, reserving 1/4 cup of syrup in small saucepan; add kirsch.
- Place chocolate chips in container of blender.
- Bring syrup mixture to boil; reduce slightly to about 1/4 cup. Immediately pour over chocolate chips, and blend until completely smooth, scraping sides of container as needed. With rubber spatula, scrape chocolate mixture into larger portion of reserved whipped cream and fold in until streaks disappear. Fold in cherries, reserving 4 cherries for garnish.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 to 6 hours.
- Spoon into 4 stemmed dessert glasses. Dollop with smaller portion of whipped cream, and garnish with remaining cherries, grated chocolate and mint sprigs.
Makes 4 Servings.
You can eliminate kirsch and use a total of 1/3 cup syrup from cherries, bring to a boil and reduce to 1/4 cup.